Messages From digitrax

 


----------------------------

#171080 Nov 8, 2011

Can you have a reverse loop entirely within a detection section? Both ends of the loop would be in the same detection section and the AR1 would reverse polarity of a portion of the track within the loop. In other words, can the AR1 be between the BDL168 and the track?

David Richie



----------------------------

#171088 Nov 8, 2011

Hi David.

Sorry, the answer is no. The AR1 will draw some current and the block

remains occupied all the time.

For reverse loops detection I use the Team Digital SRC16 or the Loco I/O

with the coil detector.

I do not use the AR1 but the OG-AR.

Gunter



From: Digitrax@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Digitrax@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

Of lazytenor1950

Sent: November-08-11 0:26 AM

To: Digitrax@yahoogroups.com

Subject: [Digitrax] BDL 168 and A1



Can you have a reverse loop entirely within a detection section? Both ends

of the loop would be in the same detection section and the AR1 would reverse

polarity of a portion of the track within the loop. In other words, can the

AR1 be between the BDL168 and the track?

David Richie



----------------------------

#171197 Nov 14, 2011

Thanks, Gunter.

--- In Digitrax@yahoogroups.com, "Gunter" gjacksch@...> wrote:

>

> Hi David.

>

> Sorry, the answer is no. The AR1 will draw some current and the block

> remains occupied all the time.

>

> For reverse loops detection I use the Team Digital SRC16 or the Loco I/O

> with the coil detector.

>

> I do not use the AR1 but the OG-AR.

>

> Gunter

>

>

>

> From: Digitrax@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Digitrax@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

> Of lazytenor1950

> Sent: November-08-11 0:26 AM

> To: Digitrax@yahoogroups.com

> Subject: [Digitrax] BDL 168 and A1

>

>

>

>

>

> Can you have a reverse loop entirely within a detection section? Both ends

> of the loop would be in the same detection section and the AR1 would reverse

> polarity of a portion of the track within the loop. In other words, can the

> AR1 be between the BDL168 and the track?

>

> David Richie

>

>

>

>

>

>

>







----------------------------

#171198 Nov 14, 2011

--- In Digitrax@yahoogroups.com, "lazytenor1950" lazytenor1950@...> wrote: >

> Can you have a reverse loop entirely within a detection section? Both ends of the loop would be in the same detection section and the AR1 would reverse polarity of a portion of the track within the loop. In other words, can the AR1 be between the BDL168 and the track?

>

> David Richie

>

According to the BDL168 instructions you can. See page 17. You feed the BDL with the output of the AR1. You can have up to 4 detection sections because you are using 1 zone of the BDL.

Kevin



----------------------------

#171216 Nov 15, 2011

Thanks Kevin.

Would that mean I'm wasting some of the expensive detection sections on the BDL 168?

Actually, it may be academic, as I may need to use some reverser other than the AR1. My AR1 is refusing to behave properly, and I've had the problem before on other reverse loops. Whenever I have the AR1's current pot set to properly handle a loco entering one end of the reverse loop, it doesn't work when the loco exits at the other end. The loco stalls and there's a short whihc doesn't clear or 3 or 4 seconds, if ever. I am certain that I have all the wiring correct.... (or do I?)

This reverse loop is at the far distant end of the DCC bus, some 50 or 60 feet from the booster. Do I need another booster.

Thanks, --- In Digitrax@yahoogroups.com, "kherr4377" kherr4377@...> wrote:

>

>

>

> --- In Digitrax@yahoogroups.com, "lazytenor1950" lazytenor1950@> wrote:

> >

> > Can you have a reverse loop entirely within a detection section? Both ends of the loop would be in the same detection section and the AR1 would reverse polarity of a portion of the track within the loop. In other words, can the AR1 be between the BDL168 and the track?

> >

> > David Richie

> >

>

> According to the BDL168 instructions you can. See page 17. You feed the BDL with the output of the AR1. You can have up to 4 detection sections because you are using 1 zone of the BDL.

>

> Kevin

>







----------------------------

#171217 Nov 15, 2011

One thing about the PSX-AR is it has options for detection while also acting as a auto-reverse.

Granted you would need another device to show this on the LocoNet or other computer interface so it could be useful. But it does have a 'closed to ground' output to show something is in the block. It also has another bit to show when there is a short in the block too. That would be a real short that trying to reverse didn't cure, handy when you have a hidden loop where something might 'jump the track'.

-ken cameron

Syracuse Model Railroad Club ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- Modelers ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- Lakes Live Steamers ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- JMRI Developer Team ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- kcameron@...mailto:kcameron@...>

In the Upstate New York US area of the world



----------------------------

#171219 Nov 15, 2011

PS: for the lop being at the far end of a 50-60 foot bus you could use another small booster or make sure those bus wires are in the 12-10awg size to reduce voltage drop to that reverse block.

-ken cameron

Syracuse Model Railroad Club ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- Modelers ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- Lakes Live Steamers ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- JMRI Developer Team ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- kcameron@...mailto:kcameron@...>

In the Upstate New York US area of the world



----------------------------

#171221 Nov 15, 2011

I definitely think I need another booster..... I guess I want a DB 150 or DCS 100, since I'm using a Super Chief system. --- In Digitrax@yahoogroups.com, Ken Cameron kcameron@...> wrote:

>

> PS: for the lop being at the far end of a 50-60 foot bus you could use another small booster or make sure those bus wires are in the 12-10awg size to reduce voltage drop to that reverse block.

>

> -ken cameron

> Syracuse Model Railroad Club ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- CNY Modelers ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- Finger Lakes Live Steamers ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- Member JMRI Developer Team ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- mailto: kcameron@...mailto:kcameron@...>

> In the Upstate New York US area of the world

>

>

>

>

>

>







----------------------------

#171222 Nov 15, 2011

Hello.

If the reverse loop device can also trigger a LED showing the reverse loop

occupied, a 12V 20mA relay can be connected in line with the LED.

Then a 1K resistor can be connected via the relay across one output of the

BDL and it will report proper occupancy.

Happy Railroading.

Gunter.



From: Digitrax@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Digitrax@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

Of Ken Cameron

Sent: November-15-11 10:38 AM

To: Digitrax@yahoogroups.com

Subject: RE: [Digitrax] Re: BDL 168 and A1



One thing about the PSX-AR is it has options for detection while also acting

as a auto-reverse.

Granted you would need another device to show this on the LocoNet or other

computer interface so it could be useful. But it does have a 'closed to

ground' output to show something is in the block. It also has another bit to

show when there is a short in the block too. That would be a real short that

trying to reverse didn't cure, handy when you have a hidden loop where

something might 'jump the track'.

-ken cameron

Syracuse Model Railroad Club

---Links-Are-Forbidden--- Modelers ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- Lakes Live Steamers ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- JMRI Developer Team ---Links-Are-Forbidden--- kcameron@...

mailto:kcameron@staffleasing-peo.com>

mailto:kcameron@...

mailto:kcameron@staffleasing-peo.com> >

In the Upstate New York US area of the world


S
e
n
i
o
r
T
u
b
e
.
o
r
g